GITANO DEL MAR CATAMARAN
PANAMA TO COLOMBIA
ABOUT THE BOAT
- Gitano del Mar is a 52 foot catamaran built in 1998 that can fit up to 18 passengers. When full though it can be a bit crowded onboard.
- It has 2 private double cabins, two private triples, and 2 singles and a triple and a double in the salon,
- 3 bathrooms, a big kitchen with fridge and freezer, generator, sound system and DVD player, two and a freezer, snorkel gear, and fishing gear, kayak and dinghy.
- The hangout area is big, especially outside there is a lot of space to relax and enjoy the sun. Fresh water shower outside
- There is no air-con but in case you feel too hot in your cabin we have some mattresses, pillows and sleeping bags for the ones who prefers to sleep outside under the beautiful stars.The boat is equipped with kayak, paddle board, snorkeling gear, fishing equipment, dice, cards and other games.
CAPTAIN & CREW
- The crew always consists of Captain, first mate and cook. Languages spoken are English, Spanish, French and German.
ABOUT THE TRIP
- 6 days / 5 nights.
- The Gitano del Mar has become famous for its Party trips for Backpackers in San Blas. The crew is fun, experienced and helpful and will make sure you have the experience of your life.
- About 8 hours from Puerto Lindo to the San Blas islands. Approximately 3 days within The San Bas Islands. Followed by an ocean crossing that averages 35 – 40 to Cartagena, but can be affected by wind, sea and currents.
- Visiting different islands daily for nice beaches and snorkeling.
- Accommodation onboard.
- 3 daily delicious meals made of fresh ingredients, Salads and Fruits.
- Water & coffee & tea.
- Use of fishing gear.
- Snorkel equipment for all guests.
- Immigration assistance
More about the food:
- We offer 3 meals a day, Coffee, tea, water and some ice tea are also available free of charge.
- Our food is all prepared using fresh ingredients and there is always plenty of it.
- Breakfast, lunch and dinner is served each day. When available we buy fresh fish, lobster and octopus from the local Guna fisherman.
- Breakfast is a variety of pancakes, scrambled eggs, granola, toast, coffee, tea and fresh fruits.
- Lunches can be anything from chicken curry with jasmine rice, beef tacos, spaghetti bolognese or ham and cheese toasties. In general we use a lot fruits and vegetables for all the meals and serve meat minimum once a day.
- For dinner in San Blas we prepare bbq lobster on the beach with potatoes and salad, or on the boat enjoy tuna and tomato pasta, pizza or fresh fish with couscous.
- It depends on the weather but we try to cook a bbq two nights on the beach (it's not so easy to make a good fire with only coconuts ;-))
- Our goal is to eat a variety of good a healthy meals.
COST & PAYMENT BREAKDOWN
- Total Cost = $550
- $50 deposit payment made to Cacique Cruiser to reserve your spot.
- $500 per guest for the boat trip paid to the captain.
- This price does not include the $20 Guna territory entrance fee, which must be paid to the captain in cash when requested.
- This price does not include transport from Panama City to the boats departure point.
- Canadian passport holders are charged an additional visa fee by Colombia of 190,000 Colombian pesos. Check today's exchange rate online.
THE DEPARTURE POINTS & ARRIVAL LOCATIONS
- The boat departs from Puerto Lindo Panama.
- Guests must meet at restaurant at Casa X hostel at 5pm on the trip date for a pre trip meeting. To get there guests must pay for ground transportation. There are 2 options:
- The public bus. This will cost about $12 total, but you must depart Panama City's Albrook bus terminal to Colon by 8 am in order to make what is normally the last connection direct to Puerto Lindo at 10am.
- Schedule a seat in in a shuttle for $25, see shuttle details below.
- The boat arrives at Club Nautica marina in Cartagena. From there guests can easily take a taxi to main areas.
- There is a minimum of 2 guests required for this shuttle to operate.
- The shuttle costs $25 per guest and will pick you up between 12:30 and 1pm on the date of your trip. Your driver is Hernan, a very experienced an friendly driver. He will offer to stop at a supermarket along the way to give you an opportunity to purchase last minute items such as sunscreen, toiletries, snacks or alcohol. The $25 shuttle fee needs to be paid to Hernan in cash.
- The day before the trip we will add you to a Whatsapp group with our team, the driver and other shuttle passengers. This gives us an easy way to send out pick up times, communicate delays and answer questions others might like to know as well.
- To sign up for the shuttle all we need from you is a confirmation reply that also includes your pick up location in Panama City. The other option for transportation is the public bus. This will cost about $12 total, but you must depart Panama Citys Albrook bus terminal to Colon by 8 am in order to make what is normally the last connection direct to Puerto Lindo at 10am.
- Surfboards and kitesurf gear cost $5 additional for the shuttle, please let us know in advance if you are bringing these so our driver can plan to fit these along with the passengers and baggage.
BE PREPARED WITH THE FOLLOWING
- Separate your luggage into two bags. One small ‘day pack’ for what you will need for the time on the boat and your main bag/backpack which will be stowed away. It is also advisable to protect luggage with large plastic trash bags.
- Snacks and beverages you want for the trip. We recommend shopping in Panama City as there are no big shops near the boats departure point.
- 2 copies of your passport.
- Cash to pay the ground transport, entrance fees the balance due on the sailboat trip, and any spending money you want for the trip.
- Tight fitting T-shirt to snorkel.
- Mosquito repellent for nights without wind and evenings ashore.
- Sweat shirt or a light raincoat for the night.
- The boat supplies a mattress with sheets but no blanket
- If you get motion or sea sickness, we highly recommend that you buy motion sickness tablets from the pharmacy.
INFORM US AND THE BOAT CREW IF ANY OF THE FOLLOWING APPLY
- You have health problems or conditions the crew should be aware of.
- You can’t swim.
- You have allergies to certain foods.
This boat is an independent boat which we represent as a guest service agent, because they are busy sailing and taking care of guests. Since we do not own and operate the boats we do not control the schedule, and cannot be held responsible for delays cancellations by the boat, or actions of the crews aboard the boats. However, in the event of a delay or cancellation we will provide guests with other available options, or refund their deposit payment. And if a guest registers a fair complaint or suggestion with us we will communicate with the boat and advocate for the guest in an effort to reach an amicable resolution.